Saturday, July 23, 2011

Inky Linky Love 07.23.2011

Time for another link roundup post! (I know they're kind of random. But at least they always show up on a Saturday?)

Lots of amazing worldbuilding links, since they inspired many of my thoughts in my last post. Be sure to check them out, as well as the other writing posts I found thought-provoking or helpful:

WORLDBUILDING & SETTING
  • Sherwood Smith at Book View Cafe wrote an insightful and in-depth post about worldbuilding, internal consistency, and things that pull her out of the reading experience. Definitely made me want to write a secondary world that's logical, despite how much work it is!
  • Steven Popkes, also at Book View Cafe, applies evolution to the movie Avatar and comes up with some interesting conclusions. Great thoughts about how flora and fauna of your world should make evolutionary sense.
  • Juliette Wade posted a TTYU retro about how descriptions should have relevant support structures. Love her points about keeping the viewpoint character in mind and slipping in the worldbuilding subtly.
CRAFT
PLOT
  • I adore the INTERN's posts on breaking down The Hunger Games! I love that book and I enjoyed reading her analysis of what makes the book so addicting. Part one is about structure on the sentence/scene/chapter level, and part two is about video games (yes, really).
DIVERSITY
  • Kate Hart does an amazing job of creating cool info-graphics to analyze the covers of 2010 YA novels in her post, Uncovering YA Covers: How Dark Are They? The answer to her question? Not very. In fact, they tend to be overwhelmingly white. I'm hoping there will be more diversity in YA in the future!

That's it for this time. Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, lots of great sites in this list that I didn't know about. Thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Glad you enjoyed them. :) I love finding awesome new sites in
    other people's link roundups, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. That YA cover diversity issue pissed the pants off me. And I've actually heard of the LOCK convention in James Scott Bell's Revision and Self-editing, which is a little puzzling... but as usual, AMAZING round-up, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Yeah, that's why we have to do our best to write amazing books
    featuring people of color, get those published, then refuse to let the
    covers get white-washed. :) Oh yeah and Kristen Lamb says in her post that
    the LOCK concept is from James Scott Bell's book, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh RIGHT, I seem to recall that in Revision and Self-editing James Scott Bell said he borrowed from his other book. Well that cleared things up a bit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank YOU for the awesome blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete